Hifidelio-User.de

Das (inoffizielle!) Forum für Hifidelio-User
Aktuelle Zeit: 28.06.2017 03:49

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 110 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite Vorherige  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Nächste
Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 02.02.2008 00:29 

gigi hat geschrieben:
I do believe that cables could have an impact to jitter transfer

Is there any explanation how a cable could induce jitter? If there is no sound physical evidence it is indeed a ‘believe’

gigi hat geschrieben:
But I still don't understand if high-quality DACs don't have a high quality reclocking unit which are rejecting jitter to an inaudible level. I would call such a DAC broken; broken by design.

That’s a point of view. You might as well argue that if you combine a high quality DAC with a high quality source you are not in need of any additional components.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 02.02.2008 00:51 

Vincent hat geschrieben:
Is there any explanation how a cable could induce jitter? If there is no sound physical evidence it is indeed a ‘believe

Yes, there is. A cable does not transmit perfect ones and zeros, it transmits analog eletrical or optical signals. Electrical transmission is bandwith limited, so fall/rise times and levels will be effected by cables. Optical transmission has limits due to dispersion.

In digital transmission line, lengths are limited and the opening of an Eye pattern indicates if transmitted data can be restored without errors: If the eye at the receiver is "open", the receiver is able to reconstruct the zeros and ones. Of course it needs to reclock the data.

Betreff des Beitrags: Re: re break in time
BeitragVerfasst: 02.02.2008 01:09 

amatala hat geschrieben:
The cable I got is a Supra X-ZAC

So Amatala is right, cables do make a difference even in case of digital signals?

Eye pattern: nice link, thanks

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 03.02.2008 01:05 

Zitat:
Interesting enough, they used a CS8412 as a DAC receiver

yep, like I do. The receiver has the possibility just to use the clocking of the original signal or to reclock with an ' external' clock. Strange enough the reclocking option is not often being used in commecrcial products I think. probably to keep it as cheap as possible (and next:sell it expensive as possible).

Bernard, I think the DAC you have is such an example. As far I can see (the link you posted) this one is using a CS8412 but not reclocking!

I have the possibility to switch between the external clock (read: the reclocking one) or the original signal. The DAC I'm using also has the CS8412 and is reclocking with a GUIDO Tent XO Clock Crystal. I must say. sometimes I can hear a real big difference, sometimes I just can't. It has probably also to do with the type and the quality (in a technically way) of the music also. probably a bit of Gigi's placebo effect also.. :) Sometimes I can really hear a big difference but most of the time that;s esepcially when I switch between the HF's DAC and external DAC. That's not always the case however...

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 06.02.2008 14:54 

gigi hat geschrieben:
But if it comes to digital cabling or power chords, the voodoo begins.
Let's figure out the power chord: There are several kilometers from the power station to your house; then there are several meters from your house to your plug. The latter is done with 1.5mm standard cable. Then there is about 1m of the hifidelio power chord. Then there is a transfomer, diodes and capacitors to make DC. Then there is a swithing power supply which chop up the DC with high frequencies, again capacitors etc...
How can one even belive that 1m of a powerchord at the AC side has any effect?

If you would want to filter the tap water in your kitchen, wouldn't you install the filter at the end of the distribution chain, just before the point where the water comes out and can be used?
Of course this is not as efficient as filtering out the whole distribution system - no argument here - but it is definitely much better than no filter at all : at least it would prevent large dirt particles from reching your soup ... :lol:

Better shielded cables and ferrites act as passive filters. Clearly they are not as evolved as full-blown power consoles with complex active filtering but they are filters nonetheless and they do perform basic power cleaning.
Cables can be expensive and not everyone wants to spend money on a power chord. However, ferrite cores are very cheap. You can get snap-on ferrites of all shapes, sizes and colours on EBay for only a few euro.

Here is some info for people who are intested to learn more on this matter:

http://www.antennex.com/shack/Dec99/beads.htm

I personally use tens of ferrite cores in my home, not only for audio/video equipment but also for home appliances which generate lots of noise in the power distribution system.

Once again, I am not trying to start another endless discussion here, I am just providing some information for people who might find it useful. Everyone else, please feel free to make fun of it, I am also happy if I can provide good entertainment. :wink:

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 06.02.2008 22:05 

just wanted to report that after the blind test last weekend that we all agreed during the first piece of music that the CD transport was better than the CD in the HF so we gave up and listened to music ....
also I got all inspired about this DAC discussion and decided to pull mine apart , interesting small sparse circuit ( less is more ? )
while I was at it I utilized 2 large external batteries instead of the 2 small internals ...and replaced the coupling caps w/ a pair of teflon V-Caps I had ...amazing difference almost a 3 dimensional aspect to the music ...good just got better
so I have decided to change all the other caps to Black gates
am still pondering the HF and which way I will go

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 06.02.2008 23:20 

bernard991 hat geschrieben:
am still pondering the HF and which way I will go

Have you ever tried different hdd models? Seagate better than Samsung? Toshiba much worse than Hitachi? What impact has hdd size to the sound? The more hdd-capacity, the fuller the sound?

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 07.02.2008 00:37 

gigi hat geschrieben:
The more hdd-capacity, the fuller the sound?

Off course not, less is more (more or less)

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 07.02.2008 00:56 

bernard991 hat geschrieben:
...and replaced the coupling caps w/ a pair of teflon V-Caps I had ...amazing difference almost a 3 dimensional aspect to the music ...good just got better

???do you mean that the signal has such a high level of DC that you really need those caps???
If so what are you using and why???

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 07.02.2008 05:07 

Vincent
I replaced the 'hi rez' option from the factory ( .01 uF teflon Sonicaps )
w/ my personal favourite the teflon V-cap , same value ) these were used in another project and have some hours on them ...as I said they are better in some ways ...dynamics and wider soundstage but also little brighter too so I am using with another set of cables to the preamp ..
I will change all the caps when I receive them ...I know a few of you guys don't get it but I learned some time ago that a good sounding piece of gear can ...when better quality key components are added can become quite wonderful .
My preamp is a German design Odyssey made in the US pretty good quality build but the coupling caps were simple Sonicaps when exchanged for V-caps it went to another level
I cannot imagine not having really good sound , personally if I could not I would return to a simple radio .

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 07.02.2008 05:13 

for Gigi
re: Have you ever tried different hdd models? Seagate better than Samsung? Toshiba much worse than Hitachi? What impact has hdd size to the sound? The more hdd-capacity, the fuller the sound?

well as I said I have not decided what I will do re the HF but I did buy a Seagate 750gb IDE drive ...so if I keep it and do some work on it I may have fuller sound ....but if it is not great 'fuller' sound ( as in the case of my transport and DAC) it will not do

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 07.02.2008 10:35 
Godfather of Hifidelio

amatala hat geschrieben:
If you would want to filter the tap water in your kitchen, wouldn't you install the filter at the end of the distribution chain, just before the point where the water comes out and can be used?

Not, if the water is poured into a very big and complex (and maybe dirty) water-driven machinery which, in the end, produces a steady stream of tiny water containers, which are full or empty, that in turn controls a completely different water machine, that just looks at the water containers and uses this information to produce soup using its own water from a completely different source!

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 07.02.2008 10:51 

Vincent hat geschrieben:
gigi hat geschrieben:
The more hdd-capacity, the fuller the sound?

Off course not, less is more (more or less)

Ah, I see! That's why my 2nd hifidelio with a 2GB compactflash-card (without any hdd) sounds so much better than my 1st one with the samsung hdd.
Beforehand I thought that the better sound comes from the absence of any spinning, rotating hdd device which may cause the bits feel dizzy and finally flip one or another in the end.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 07.02.2008 21:48 

Makes me thing of Nova Physics memory player.
Here is a review: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue35/cj_diaries.htm
I love the second part.

BTW: your concept is sound. A music server with all the data on SHD would be ideal if for the time being a little bit expensive.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 11.02.2008 23:21 

We might have a different view on some matters but here is a tweak that really works: http://www.dvdrewinder.com/index.php?ma ... cd4568b416
Although it has not been tested double blind, it works on CDs to.

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 110 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite Vorherige  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Nächste

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]