Hifidelio-User.de

Das (inoffizielle!) Forum für Hifidelio-User
Aktuelle Zeit: 19.10.2018 20:53

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]

Autor Nachricht
BeitragVerfasst: 28.10.2006 21:34 

Hello,

I apologize for not being able to write in German.

I performed the 'auto-update' on my Olive Musica today to try to update to software version 2.3. After doing so, the machine will not boot. The recovery CD I got with the machine also did not work. The machine sticks on the initial startup screen - "Olive: live better".

If anyone can advise on a good way to bring the machine back to life without erasing all my music, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, B. King

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 28.10.2006 23:25 

Switch the machine off completely, then disconnect the power plug, wait a while and/or push a few buttons to make sure it is fully discharged. Then power the machine again and try booting.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 29.10.2006 00:52 

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, I've tried this and it did not solve the problem.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 29.10.2006 09:35 

Hi roadtrip71,

what exactly are you doing when trying to update via CD? (or with Recovery?)
Did the three CD-Symbols appear when starting the complete switched off Hifidelio?

Are you doing this? ... :
Press "Off" for more than four seconds, then the Hifidelio switches off totally; then press "On" and hold the "Play" Button pressed until the three CDs appear - that is the right time to put the Recovery OR the Update-CD into the slot.
Update or Recovery should work then.

In case of recovery: you can choose between save musik and total new setup. You will not loose the Musik, there is just some minor Problem. Had such also with a beta-version.

Space

(ps: i deleted the second thread, just to keep the forum "structured" ... ;-) )

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 29.10.2006 13:57 

Yes, this is what I am doing with the CDs. The recovery spins and spins - I've left it going for over two hours. But it never completes. The update CD DOES complete, but the system hangs on the startup screen after re-boot.

Thanks, B.K.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 29.10.2006 15:37 

After switching on the machine while holding the Play button, the recovery CD (or update CD) has to be inserted within 10 seconds after the three CD icons appear in the display. Did you insert the CD within 10 seconds? If inserted in time, the Hifidelio (or your Olive Musica) will boot from the recovery CD. Then you can choose between four options with one of the small function buttons.

F1 Delete. The machine will be forced to factory settings. Music and data will be deleted.
F2 Recovery. Operating system is restored, music and data are not touched.
F3 Reboot. Cancel the recovery and boot normally from the HD
F4 Power off. The machine is switched off.

It is unlikely that booting from the CD is not possible when the correct procedure is followed, unless there is a hardware problem (including faulty CD).

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 29.10.2006 16:46 

Thank you. Yes, I have successfully re-booted from the CD. But the "Recovery" option does not work. It simply says 'Please wait at leat 10 minutes" - for hours, if I let it. I am hesitant to erase all of my music with option 1. But it appears that I may either have to try that or send it to Olive (for the second time!) for them to rescue the unit and my music. I am using a recovery CD that has the 2.1.6 software on it - perhaps there's a newer recovery disk image that can be downloaded on the forums here somewhere? Or e-mailed or FTP'd to me? Thanks again, B.K.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 29.10.2006 17:08 

Hm, this sounds like a hardware problem. It could be a problem with the harddisk, maybe serious, maybe nothing more than a loose connection. Anyway, something like that would explain why booting from the hard disk does not even start and why the recovery does not start. Can you hear the hard disk spin up when you switch the machine on?
(I suppose you do not want to spoil the warranty by breaking the seal and opening up the machine to check the connections.)

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 29.10.2006 18:03 

I think I may have a bad unit. I've been plagued with problems like this since I first got it - and have already sent it in for service once. It's very frustrating. Due to this and some other issues with how I'd like to listen to my music, I'm strongly considering moving to a SONOS system. I've e-mailed olive; we'll see what they say on Monday. Thanks again, B.K.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 29.10.2006 19:42 

Normally such problems can really caused ba some loose connections (Wird to CD and HD) ...

If you feel able: open the case, and just move the plugs in its fittings some times ...

Warnings for the american nation users:
before doing so, disconnect and power off the hifidelio from all cables, power plugs and networks. Do not do that outside in the rain. Do not smoke while doing that. Keep your children away. Do not use tools for doing it like a sledgehammer, screwdrivers, forks and knifes.
Never use brownies for that. (eat them before you open the case!)
Do not believe that something will change afterwards. Do not believe, that the hifidelio will work afterwards. Don not believe to an intelligent designer of that box called hifidelio. All such boxes are made by humans. humans can fail. Do not believe mr. bush.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 29.10.2006 19:47 

This really made me laugh. Thanks for the warnings!

But if the unit was working fine before the software update to 2.3, do you really think it could be loose wires? Why would it work fine with loose connections under 2.2 and not 2.3? Might still open to check, but seems unlikely...

- B.K.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 29.10.2006 21:50 

It could be a coincidence, the cables not fitted properly and losing grip while the machine tried rebooting after the update.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 29.10.2006 23:26 

Olive has put a warranty sticker on the bottom of the machine - I'll have to wait to talk to them tomorrow before opening it. Don't want to void the warranty, especially as I've already had so many problems with this unit.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 11.11.2006 01:36 

DON'T remove the warranty sticker - I bought an Olive Musica that never worked - I opened it up to check inside for loose connections and then sent it back - because the warranty sticker was now void they refused to fix it, so I bought the Hifidelio instead.

- Simon.

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]