Hifidelio-User.de

Das (inoffizielle!) Forum für Hifidelio-User
Aktuelle Zeit: 11.12.2017 14:56

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]

Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Network issue
BeitragVerfasst: 03.11.2011 08:57 

Hallo,

I would appreciate some advice on a network issue I am experiencing. Firstly please find my Fidel configuration details below and apologies for my lack of German and bad English:)

The Fidel is running software version 2.3.28 PRO, I have upgraded to 500GB hard drive and it is connected using an Ethernet connection using the following settings: -

Mode: Expert Mode
WLAN: On
Internet via: Ethernet
IP Address: 192.168.1.201
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1
Network Name: Hifidelio
Protection: WPA
Channel: 10
Web Proxy: No

The Fidel network services that are enabled are: -

Web Interface
UPnp/AV
VNC
UPnP/AV Remote Control

My router is a Vodafone Home Gateway HG556a and I have changed my routers WIFI encryption to WPA to enable connection to the Fidel over WIFI.

In addition to this I have Ethernet cable connected from the router to a network switch in my living room which is used to connect my networked devices including my Fidel.

I have a Window 7 PC connected to the Fidels network switch via Ethernet, a Windows Vista laptop connected to my router via WIFI.

I connect to the Fidel using Tight VNC viewer, Leonore and Kammeri Software's Hifi-Remote iPhone app.

The issue I am experiencing is that I lose the network connection to the Fidel.

On boot / start-up it may take few minutes before I can connect to the Fidel and usually I lose connection over Ethernet within an hour. When the connection is lost I notice that the indicator light on the network switch does not indicate that there is a connection.

Connecting to the Hifidelio network connection over WIFI I lose connection intermittently and may or may not have internet access. The same applies to the iPhone app.

I read in a previous post about an issue were the hard drive caused the WIFI card to overhead and stop working (http://www.hifidelio-user.de/viewtopic.php?t=3888), however, this issue effects both the WIFI and Ethernet connections.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Danke, Stig

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 03.11.2011 23:32 

Hello Stig,

the Hifidelio is connected to the Router via cable AND wireless?
you only need one connection, preferrable cable
wireless devices can connect to the Fidel through the router
two routers/switches connected via two different connections can cause broadcast storms

Houd][n][

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 04.11.2011 00:27 

Concerning the wired connection: You most likely have a defective LAN-bridge-chip. Several users have experienced this problem - the chip overheats and the connection drops after few hours/minutes.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 04.11.2011 21:05 

Hallo,

Danke for the advice, however, I have some questions for both of you see below:)

Houd the issue that I am experiencing seems to be similar to the one that gigi described as I lose the ethernet connection after a few hours / minutes.

Due to this and to your advice that two routers / switches can cause broadcast storms I have disconnected the ethernet cable and changed the Internet Via setting to WIFI.

However, I am unable to connect over WIFI. The connection is not available in the Network and Sharing Centre and I am not able to connect via Leonore, VNC, by mapping drive or by iPhone app.

I have changed the encryption to WPA and have also tried using the Fidel Home Network option with no luck.

Can you confirm if I need to change my router config to enable me to connect via WIFI.

Gigi I read in a previous post about the LAN chip overheating and that some users found that a shorter LAN cable resolve the issue. I will try this tomorrow morning.

As I would like a long-term solution do you know if it is possible to easily replace the chip to resolve the issue.

Danke, Stig

Betreff des Beitrags: Ethernet connection working
BeitragVerfasst: 10.11.2011 22:20 

Hallo Guys,

The ethernet connection is now working. The Fidel is now connected to to a network switch using a 1 meter ethernet cable.

This has resoved the ethernet connection issue and I can now connect via VNC, Leonore, iPhone app etc. which is great:)

The solution was posted in another post which I will add my feedback.

However, this is a temporary solution as it would be more beneficial if I could connect via WIFI or stop the LAN chip from overheating when using a longer ethernet cable.

I would appreciate any further advice to troubleshoot either the WIFI or LAN chip issues.

Danke, Stig

Betreff des Beitrags: Re: Ethernet connection working
BeitragVerfasst: 06.12.2011 01:48 

Stig, I've given up trying to keep my Olives connected with a direct wireless radio connection to the network in my home. Over time, I've upgraded my network to the point it no longer is a simple B+G WPA-only one. Unfortunately, the Olives cannot join anything more modern than that, such as networks with WPA2 encryption or mixed B+G+N capability. (I've confirmed this with Olive here in the US.)

What I do now is use a wireless four-port D-Link bridge, which brings the signal wirelessly from my router to my upstairs living room, and then connect the Olives to the bridge using ethernet cables. I now have a reliable ethernet connection, with VNC, Leonore, and telnet all working, although, I have to confess, I was baffled by my inability to get internet radio to work until I found out that shoutcast is broken on these devices unless you perform a hack. Anyway, this may be your solution, as well, if you're having no luck with a pure wireless setup.

If you go this route, turn off WLAN. (I've not only done that, but I've removed the antennae from my units.) Instead, just create network settings (I use a static IP address) as though the unit were connected to your network by ethernet directly.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 14.04.2012 10:30 

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the advice and apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

Like yourself I have given up on WIFI connectivity and connect via ethernet, however, the problem I am experiencing is that the fidels LAN chip overheats and I lose network connectivity.

I was advised on this form to use a shorter network cable. I now have a 50cm (about 1.5ft to you) connected to a network switch. Previously I had 5m (15ft) network cable connected directly to the router.

This has worked somewhat in that it takes longer for the LAN chip to overheat which means I obtain a longer network connection approx 1.5 hours before I lose the network connection.

However, it can be very annoying when I am listening to internet radio and it suddenly drops.

Speaking of internet radio to get around the ShoutCast issue you can manually input your favourite radio stations IP address into the fidel and connect using the ip address.

This is easy to do just go into My Stations, select new, enter the station name and the IP address.

Try this one for an example it is an Irish Alternative Rock station Phantom FM which is broadcast at 160kbps which is quite good for internet radio: -

http://85.159.16.81:80

There is a method of identifying a radio stations IP from ShoutCast I don't remember of hand how to find the IP but it should be handy enough.

Thanks again for your advice and good luck with the internet radio.

Stig

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]