Hifidelio-User.de

Das (inoffizielle!) Forum für Hifidelio-User
Aktuelle Zeit: 19.10.2017 01:53

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]

Autor Nachricht
BeitragVerfasst: 14.04.2012 10:44 

Hallo,

My fidel has a defective LAN chip, it overheats and loses network connectivity. I have shortened the length of the ethernet cable to 50cm and now can obtain a longer network connection before the LAN chip overheats (approx 1.5 hours or 2 albums).

I would like to know if I replace the WIFI card with the one for sale on the fidel site at the link below, will I be able to connect via WIFI and not experience the issue of the LAN chip overheating.

http://www.hifidelio.biz/epages/6243488 ... ucts/07043

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Danke, Stig

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 14.04.2012 20:26 

This will work fine.
LAN and WIFI are different Chipset and the LAN-Chip won´t overheat if not in use.

Edit: You need Software Version 2.4 for the new WIFI-Card, that´s another 60 Euro. I bought the Software from the Hifidelio-Shop but ordered the (identical) WIFI-Card here: http://www.wlan-box.com/product_info.php/info/p596_Wistron-DCMA81-miniPCI--Extremely-Small-Size--2-4-5GHz--a-b-g-.html

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 15.04.2012 14:28 

Did you just shorten the network cable or did you put a switch as close as possible behind the hifidelio? I used the shortest possible cable to a switch, and since then it works fine again with my LAN chip. In addition, I put a passive cooler on the chip.

The solution with the WLAN card is an option as well, of course.

Michael

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 15.04.2012 15:22 

Dankt for the advice kerlen.

Currently I have a 50cm cable connected to a network switch. I will try attaching a heatsink to the chip to see if it stops or prolongs the LAN chip overheating.

Michael, can you confirm what cable length you have between the fidel and the switch.

If this is unsuccessful and I opt to upgrade the WIFI card and firmware. Can you confirm if I can still use my 500gb hard drive with the 2.4 firmware?

Danke, Stig

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 21.04.2012 23:14 

Stig, I had a look, and it's a 50cm cable as well between my Fidel and my switch (thought it was shorter). Seems sufficient, I listen to internet radio for hours. It also depends on where you put your Hifidelio, I found i- not surprisingly - it works better on the shelf than inside where not much heat circulation is possible.

My story is: After first running into problems with heat, I put a passive cooler on the chip, it then again worked. Later on, bought a new, tighter cupboard where I put the Hifidelio in, and had problems again. Then added the switch behind said 50cm cable and it again works well.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 24.04.2012 23:48 

Hallo Bueffel,

My ethernet cable is also 50cm.

Last weekend I attached two small heatsinks to the LAN chip. This modification prolonged the length of time I remained connected to the network for example: -

Approx 4 hours when using my iphone to control the fidel over the network
Apporx 1.5 hours when streaming internet radio

See the picture in SAD's post of the heatsinks attached to the LAN chip and processor.

http://hifidelio-user.de/viewtopic.php? ... p&start=15

I attached a heatsink to the LAN chip as seen at the top of the picture but did not attached a heatsink to the processor.

I will try adding the heatsink to the processor this weekend. If this is not successful then it looks like I will need to buy the WIFI card and v4 firmware :(

Danke Stig

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 05.05.2012 15:14 

Hi, the extra heatsink on the processor did not work so it looks like I will be opting for the 4.x firmware and new wifi card. I will update the thread to let you know if it is successful.

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]